Wow. There is such an amazing festival coming up in town- are you even ready to hear about this? This month is the very first annual LAUNCH! Maritime Festival in Kennebunk!! There’s going to be all kinds of yummy seafood everywhere, cooking contests and parties, a boat parade, and art walks! They really have things for everyone- a 5k run, historic costumes, and a seafood pizza night! You definitely will NOT want to miss this festival!
The whole thing is going to be kicked off by the Landing School Boat Launch, which is so much fun to watch. Everybody in the school has been working on making their own boats entirely by hand, and now that they’re ready they’ll all take them out for the very first time and christen them!
The Launch is followed by local brew and wine tours, cooking classes, open house tours, parties, they really have a killer lineup- check out the full itinerary here. It’s a whole three days of fun, planned for June 17-19th. Some events require a sign up as there are limited spots available, so you should definitely get a move on! We’re all very jealous of Kate and David, as they will be attending the Rock the Boat after-party on the Spirit of Massachusetts, which you may have seen docked in the river!
For everyone who didn’t get tickets to the VIP party, our consolation is participating in the town – wide historical landmark scavenger hunt! It’s hosted by all the historical Inns in the area, English Meadows included, and the prize is $100 that can be used at English Meadows or any select registry Inn!! How cool is that? I have a feeling I’m about to be staying at English Meadows very soon… I’m already figuring out where all the landmarks are! Here’s a hint… This might be one of them!
Then again, you should absolutely not take my word for it, as I have a very poor sense of direction.
Right now, we still have openings available at English Meadows for the Launch weekend, but we’re anticipating our rooms to be booked quickly as more people hear about all the fun going on! You can call Kate and David at our office and book directly at (207) 967-5766, or you can check out our rooms and their available dates right here!
See you soon!
The Inn at English Meadows
What’s summer like in Maine? In one word: spectacular! From the picturesque coastline to pristine parks, Maine offers countless opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors. But if indoor fun is on your agenda, you’re in luck. You can spend time savoring delicious meals at some of the state’s award-winning restaurants or touring historic lighthouses.
Here are 6 reasons to make your way to Maine this summer:
1. Maine’s natural beauty is breathtaking. If you’re up for a day trip while staying at the inn, Acadia National Park is located 3 hours away in Bar Harbor. It’s 47,000 total acres are home to some 40 different species of wildlife, 120 miles of hiking trails, 27 miles of biking trails, and two beaches. Only 1.5 hours away, the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay offers trails, vernal ponds and forest over 248 acres. Want to stay local? The Rachel Carson National Wildlife Rescue is only minutes from the inn and stretches along 50 miles of coastline.
2. The lighthouses will still catch your eye. There’s a reason why Maine is sometimes called ‘The Lighthouse State’. There are 65 lighthouses dotting the state’s vast coastline, and the most prominent can be viewed while driving along Route 1. One of the closest to the inn is Goat Island Light, originally built in 1892 and rebuilt in 1859, located right up the road at the entrance of Cape Porpoise Harbor.
3. You can soak in Maine and its sunsets on the sea. Riding the waves along the rocky coastline on a windjammer or schooner is an adventurous and scenic way to see the state’s beauty. You can take a day tour or book a week-long adventure and end each day with a sunset cruise.
4. Summer brings fun and festivals. From June 1st – 8th, the Kennebunkport Festival brings together delicious foods, wines, and art, with the backdrop of some of the area’s most historic homes. If you’re a fan of the blues, the North Atlantic Blues Festival is being held from July 12th – 13th at the Public Landing in Rockland (about 2 hours from the inn). And, the annual Maine Lobster Festival featuring 20,000 pounds of the tasty crustacean is also being held in Rockland from July 30th – August 3rd at Harbor Park.
5. The food is fabulous. Everyone knows Maine for its lobsters, of course. You can stop by any number of lobster shacks, including The Clam Shack overlooking the Kennebunk River. But that’s not all. Portland, only 30 minutes from the inn, has become one of the best small foodie towns in the country thanks to a bevy of top-tier, nationally recognized restaurants such as Hugo’s and Fore Street. Foodie tours are very popular in the region (buying tickets in advance is highly recommended). Stay close to the inn and set out on the Kennebunkport Culinary Walking Tour for a taste of what the area is serving up.
6. Come visit us at the inn! We love welcoming our guests and providing each one a bit of R&R. From the daily, gourmet breakfasts cooked up by Liz, to the modern, luxurious touches of the guest rooms, we strive to give our guests a truly unforgettable experience. Our specials and packages are created with our guests’ happiness in mind.
We hope to see you this summer!