Stay up, Sleep Inn & Brunch with us this New Years’!
New Year’s is all about clean slates so this year get out of town, ring in the New Year in a new place, The Inn at English Meadows, Sleep in and join us for brunch and take your time with a 1:00pm check out. You’ll have plenty of time to rush in the New Year so start off on the right, rested, well-fed foot with us.
Let’s Paint the Town Red!
Celebrate all things love in The Kennebunks this February with an array of events, romance-centric hotel packages, and lovely offerings from shops and restaurants. The month long event kicks off January 28th with “Frosted”, a festive party featuring ice bar, sculptures and creative nosh and cocktails! Each weekend in February, The Kennebunks offer cooking and mixology classes, activities and engaging events that center on love and romance. The towns also adorn themselves with beautiful red lights, giant hearts and red, red, red! Check lovethekennebunks.com for a full schedule and more information!
New Year, New Traditions!
That’s right just steps from our front door is the brand new and highly anticipated Toroso Kitchen & Cocktails. Owned by the famed Shannon Bard, Toroso is a local Neighborhood Restaurant Serving Small Plates Inspired By The Flavors of Spain.
A highlight of Culinary communities Kennebunkport is your New Years Eve’ destination. Leave the car and take a stroll to over 25 superb eateries in and around Dock Square or skip the walk altogether and sample local offerings from all new Toroso (right next door)
Go Outside & Play!
Never underestimate the romance of a Sleigh Ride.
Take a walk on the snow: Snow Shoeing
Explore Nature: Kennebunk Land Trust
We’re deep into rhubarb season here in Maine! We’ve been using it in our cocktails, on our bread, and now in our rhubarb scones! We used Kate’s recipe for Dreamy Blueberry Cream Scones, and adapted it to make use of our abundance of fresh produce! And now you can make them yourself! Here’s how:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon fine sea salt or table salt
5 tablespoons chilled, unsalted butter, cut into ¼ inch cubes.
½ cup finely chopped rhubarb
1 cup heavy cream
Heat oven to 425 degrees
Slice your rhubarb stalks into narrow lengthwise strips. Chop into 1/4 inch cubes.
Place flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in large bowl or work bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. Pulse six times.
Chop butter into 1/4 inch cubes. Using food processor, remove cover and distribute butter evenly over dry ingredients.
Cover and pulse 12 times, each pulse lasting 1 second. Add rhubarb and pulse one more time.
Transfer dough to large bowl.
Use your hands to shape a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the cream into the center of the well. Stir in cream with a rubber spatula or fork until dough begins to form, about 30 seconds.
Knead dough by hand until it comes together.
On a lightly floured surface press into a 8 inch circle, smoothing the edges. Cut into 10 to 11 wedges.
Place wedges on a parchment covered baking sheet. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar, (optional) and bake until very light brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
Cool 10 minutes and enjoy warm, or at room temperature.
Yumm!!! Now invite all your friends over for tea and scones, and discuss literature and flower gardens, and feel very fancy. Tra la la.
If you get these into the oven and your kitchen looks rather worse for wear, do not fear your mess: our kitchen looks appalling after baking, too. And we’re pretty much professionals, so you can definitely feel better about yourself about that one.
America’s Test Kitchen Cookbook
We’d love to see how your Dreamy Rhubarb Scones turn out, and what other interesting variations you can think of! You can tag us in your photos on Instagram or share them on our Facebook Page– We can’t wait to see what you dream up!
The Inn at English Meadows
What a beautiful day here at English Meadows! Is it spring or is it summer? Who can know. After another of Kate’s wonderful breakfasts, lemon blueberry scones, berry yogurt, and zucchini frittatas (yum I’m DYING), we’re going to force the issue. It’s summer, and we’re having a beach day.
If you want to take a dog to the beach, Gooch’s beach is the place to go! (Starting June 15th however, dogs are only allowed in the mornings and evenings to make sure everybody has a good time.) Lola and I decided to visit to make friends with all the other pups having a beach day. We ran all over the place meeting dogs and their people, and Lola had a great time! I thought she might enjoy to learn how to swim; as it turns out, she has been watching way too many scary ocean movies, and is not on board with swimming at all. She is now feeling highly put out.
When swimming turned out to be a bust, obviously the best thing to do to follow up a beach day is to drive into Kennebunkport and go to Rococo Ice Cream!!
I always love to walk by the Library, because obviously the library is a great place to visit, and because look how cute the green door is! Also, I’m obsessed with how adorable all the signs are in Kennebunkport. What are we, in Maine or something?! I can’t get over it.
Rococo always has different flavours every single time you go, and they will ALWAYS be so delicious it is ridiculous! This time, I got Lemon Pink Peppercorn and Pink Lemonade Mint Sorbet. They were skeptical of me mixing the sorbet and ice cream, but I figured they’re both lemon and pink, so they can’t be wrong together. I was right, obviously.
Did you remember that next week is the LAUNCH! Festival?? Ah! It’s going to be crazy fun, we can simply not wait. We still have one or two rooms left available for the weekend- it’s definitely time to be spontaneous, drop ALL your weekend plans, and come to Kennebunk for the festival!! It’s going to be a blast and a half, and I’m getting a time machine so I can go to every single one of the activities- see the full itinerary here. To book a room with us, just call Kate or David in our office at (207) 967-5766, or you can check out our beautiful rooms and suites right here! And don’t forget, if you’d like to bring your dog to cuddle with on your beautiful vacation, we have a luxurious private Bungalow that allows dogs!
See you soon!
The Inn at English Meadows
Wow. There is such an amazing festival coming up in town- are you even ready to hear about this? This month is the very first annual LAUNCH! Maritime Festival in Kennebunk!! There’s going to be all kinds of yummy seafood everywhere, cooking contests and parties, a boat parade, and art walks! They really have things for everyone- a 5k run, historic costumes, and a seafood pizza night! You definitely will NOT want to miss this festival!
The whole thing is going to be kicked off by the Landing School Boat Launch, which is so much fun to watch. Everybody in the school has been working on making their own boats entirely by hand, and now that they’re ready they’ll all take them out for the very first time and christen them!
The Launch is followed by local brew and wine tours, cooking classes, open house tours, parties, they really have a killer lineup- check out the full itinerary here. It’s a whole three days of fun, planned for June 17-19th. Some events require a sign up as there are limited spots available, so you should definitely get a move on! We’re all very jealous of Kate and David, as they will be attending the Rock the Boat after-party on the Spirit of Massachusetts, which you may have seen docked in the river!
For everyone who didn’t get tickets to the VIP party, our consolation is participating in the town – wide historical landmark scavenger hunt! It’s hosted by all the historical Inns in the area, English Meadows included, and the prize is $100 that can be used at English Meadows or any select registry Inn!! How cool is that? I have a feeling I’m about to be staying at English Meadows very soon… I’m already figuring out where all the landmarks are! Here’s a hint… This might be one of them!
Then again, you should absolutely not take my word for it, as I have a very poor sense of direction.
Right now, we still have openings available at English Meadows for the Launch weekend, but we’re anticipating our rooms to be booked quickly as more people hear about all the fun going on! You can call Kate and David at our office and book directly at (207) 967-5766, or you can check out our rooms and their available dates right here!
See you soon!
The Inn at English Meadows
Everyone needs souvenirs from a great vacation! Either to remember how awesome it was, or to apologize to the people you didn’t want to invite.. Don’t even worry. Sarah and I went scouting for the best souvenirs in the Kennebunks, so you can get such amazing presents that you will end up keeping them for yourself!
The first and best place to start is the Inn, of course. They have all the luxuries from your stay available for purchase! Malin + Goetz soaps (don’t they just smell all kinds of amazing??), English Meadows coffee mugs and gorgeous hand-blown Italian drinking cups, Tea Forté tea bags and tea trays, the cute little tea pots, everything! These are the perfect things to bring home to remind you to relax and enjoy yourself, and to bring to people who don’t like trinkets!
The place to go for the cutest Mainey trinkets is Definitely the Daytrip Society. They have everything you will need to impress your friends with your thoughtfulness and generosity. Also, they have great sunglasses, and a Junior store for all the babies in your life who need to be spoiled.
Their card selection is straight up KILLER. You can buy them all and send them to your inlaws like, ‘oh darn, you would love it so much here, super sorry you couldn’t come. We’ll almost certainly remember to invite you next year probably.’
Next, we went to our favourite place for KENNEBUNK merch- Saxony Imports. It’s not as adorably curated as the Daytrip Society, but they do have really soft sweatshirts, cute hats, stickers, etc: Kennebunk souvenirs are their jam. Sarah got a great hat with a leather tab at the back, and will now be representing KPT in all of her paparazzi shots from now on.
After all of that shopping, it is definitely time to walk across the green bridge into Kennebunk to relax with a glass of something at Ports of Italy. You have earned it for SURE. Ask Mike the bartender for book recommendations- he’ll hook you right up!
That was so easy! What a success. Now you can go home with all of your beautiful trinkets and remember your favourite vacation!
Thanks for coming shopping with us, we hope to see you around the port this summer! We’re so excited to show you all of our favourite places around town, pretty soon you’ll be able to tour the town like a local! Don’t forget to book your room, cause we can’t wait to have you stay with us!
See you soon!
The Inn at English Meadows
Photos by Sophie Hines
Happy Mother’s Day to all of the mothers and children in the world! We certainly had a great weekend here at the Inn! On Saturday, we had blueberry cake, melon with mint and lime, and the most delicious breakfast sandwiches with avocado, bacon, and an egg. It was KILLER.
Kate worked her usual wizardry on the sandwiches, and everyone’s favourite sous chef, Sarah, handled the cake and fruit! What a couple of true professionals. This was my first weekend working on the kitchen crew for the Inn, and I just had a blast and a half. My name is Sophie, and I am Sarah’s roommate- she has had so much fun cooking up a storm for everyone that I started coming in to work with her! You may see me dancing around the kitchen this summer, trying not to drop things in front of the guests, and I’m also going to be exploring the whole town and reporting back to you with the inside scoop! If you want to really experience the Kennebunks like a local, the Inn at English Meadows is Definitely the place to stay. We will hook you up with the most delicious breakfasts, all the best places to go, and all the secret insider spots! Book your room now and connect with us on Facebook to follow along with the blog and start planning your trip!
Our very best and favourite spot to show you is the magical land of Snug Harbor Farm. Everyone should come here at least four times a week. They have the most beautiful collection of plants, including tiny trees in pots, a stunning array of succulents, and such cute animals!! They keep ponies, exotic birds, and flocks of geese that roam around leaving feathers EVERYWHERE. If you are an aspiring Beatrix Potter, it is advisable that you should secretly move into one of the greenhouses.
We stopped to talk to Anthony, the owner, and learn about his four dogs. He loves all the animals, and keeps four poodles, all different sizes and colors, and they go all over the property together to keep an eye on everything. They are so friendly and will absolutely want you to pet them. They are the only dogs that Sarah likes. (Including the one that we own.) If you have a dog with you, however, it is not invited to Snug Harbor on account of the delicate constitutions of the birds. But if you need any beautiful garden decoration things, the gift shop is NOT TO BE MISSED. Trust me on this one.
After Snug Harbor, we visited Parson’s Beach! We love this beach so much!! Parson’s is VERY beautiful, but also it is very small, so try to get there early to make sure there’s parking.
We showed up at high tide, and there was hardly any beach at all! We were trying to perch above the waves on a washed up tree trunk, but even so we got knocked off and got our shoes wet!! Sarah waded in, but I’m not trying to die of hypothermia of the toes so I just guarded the rosebushes (with my face accidentally).
We’ll be exploring the Kennebunks and our favourite nearby spots all summer, so keep checking back to find your new favourite spot! It’s gonna be the best summer ever! (we can already tell.) Don’t forget to book your room, cause we can’t wait to have you stay with us!
See you soon!
The Inn at English Meadows
Photos by Sophie Hines
This is not to imply that Kennebunk winters aren’t already fun and friendly but, let’s face it, an ice skating rink ups the fun factor with measurable results.
Opening on October 11th, 2014, Waterhouse Center ice skating rink is the brainchild of Geraldine Waterhouse. Seeing local children skating at a temporary rink in downtown Kennebunk spurred memories of her own childhood.
Read the rest of this page »
What’s summer like in Maine? In one word: spectacular! From the picturesque coastline to pristine parks, Maine offers countless opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors. But if indoor fun is on your agenda, you’re in luck. You can spend time savoring delicious meals at some of the state’s award-winning restaurants or touring historic lighthouses.
Here are 6 reasons to make your way to Maine this summer:
1. Maine’s natural beauty is breathtaking. If you’re up for a day trip while staying at the inn, Acadia National Park is located 3 hours away in Bar Harbor. It’s 47,000 total acres are home to some 40 different species of wildlife, 120 miles of hiking trails, 27 miles of biking trails, and two beaches. Only 1.5 hours away, the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay offers trails, vernal ponds and forest over 248 acres. Want to stay local? The Rachel Carson National Wildlife Rescue is only minutes from the inn and stretches along 50 miles of coastline.
2. The lighthouses will still catch your eye. There’s a reason why Maine is sometimes called ‘The Lighthouse State’. There are 65 lighthouses dotting the state’s vast coastline, and the most prominent can be viewed while driving along Route 1. One of the closest to the inn is Goat Island Light, originally built in 1892 and rebuilt in 1859, located right up the road at the entrance of Cape Porpoise Harbor.
3. You can soak in Maine and its sunsets on the sea. Riding the waves along the rocky coastline on a windjammer or schooner is an adventurous and scenic way to see the state’s beauty. You can take a day tour or book a week-long adventure and end each day with a sunset cruise.
4. Summer brings fun and festivals. From June 1st – 8th, the Kennebunkport Festival brings together delicious foods, wines, and art, with the backdrop of some of the area’s most historic homes. If you’re a fan of the blues, the North Atlantic Blues Festival is being held from July 12th – 13th at the Public Landing in Rockland (about 2 hours from the inn). And, the annual Maine Lobster Festival featuring 20,000 pounds of the tasty crustacean is also being held in Rockland from July 30th – August 3rd at Harbor Park.
5. The food is fabulous. Everyone knows Maine for its lobsters, of course. You can stop by any number of lobster shacks, including The Clam Shack overlooking the Kennebunk River. But that’s not all. Portland, only 30 minutes from the inn, has become one of the best small foodie towns in the country thanks to a bevy of top-tier, nationally recognized restaurants such as Hugo’s and Fore Street. Foodie tours are very popular in the region (buying tickets in advance is highly recommended). Stay close to the inn and set out on the Kennebunkport Culinary Walking Tour for a taste of what the area is serving up.
6. Come visit us at the inn! We love welcoming our guests and providing each one a bit of R&R. From the daily, gourmet breakfasts cooked up by Liz, to the modern, luxurious touches of the guest rooms, we strive to give our guests a truly unforgettable experience. Our specials and packages are created with our guests’ happiness in mind.
We hope to see you this summer!
Are you looking for ways to clear your mind? Body tense from stress? Spirit uneasy with worry? Peace and happiness is just a click away here at English Meadows in Kennebunkport. Our charming village offers several ways to soothe your mind, body and spirit. Take a holistic getaway and work on getting back your inner peace during a weekend stay at the Inn at English Meadows.
Revitalize your body at the White Barn Inn Spa for a day of treatments, decadent hors d’oeuvres, massages and complimentary product samples at the March 8th Spa Wellness Event, exclusive only to Inn at English Meadows guests. Known for its unique services, this spa boasts bathrooms with rain showers and treatment rooms with soaker tubs. For a personal touch, you’ll be assigned a concierge to help tailor your pampering session. The special treatment does not have to end at the Spa Wellness Event; guests also receive a 15% discount on any spa treatment at The White Barn Spa throughout the year.
Let the worries of the world roll off your shoulders during a Kripalu yoga session at the Village Yoga of the Kennebunks. This session offers a holistic practice of yoga that is not just reduced to physical activity, but helps you to understand the unity of the body and mind. You’ll leave this class with a feeling of control over your life.
Lastly, free your spirit during a Reiki treatment at Holistically Yours. Reiki is a hands-on healing practice and focuses on the energy flow through the body to enhance your health and well-being. This is the perfect way to release the bad energy you may have pent up inside. You’ll feel like a new person after a treatment with Jayleen Hayden.
A holistic experience is not complete without rest. Your body will enjoy a sweet slumber on our Vera Wang hyper allergenic mattresses with down duvets and pillows. The warmth from your room’s gas fireplace will create a cozy atmosphere to relax in. Feed your soul with our gourmet breakfasts that will keep you energized for a weekend of self-reflection and pampering.
So pack your bags and escape the madness for a getaway filled with tranquility.
Some may call him mischievous, but we call him romantic. Cupid is busy this time of year, and he has his arrows pointed right at Kennebunkport. With its picturesque views, delicious food and quaint atmosphere, it’s the perfect place for a romantic getaway. Plus, Valentine’s Day falls on the Friday of President’s Day weekend, so you could come visit us for a three-day affair!
Here are 14 Cupid-approved Valentine’s Day weekend activities in and around Kennebunkport:
1) Find a special gift for your sweetheart at Dock Square in Kennebunkport. Head there for an afternoon of shopping and sight-seeing.
2) Start up some friendly competition at Sugarloaf during an afternoon of downhill skiing and snowboarding on Maine’s Western Mountains.
3) Declare you love for one another in the pristine sand of Goose Rocks Beach during a quiet stroll.
4) Reenact a scene on the very same pond Whitney Houston and Denzel Washington skated on in the movie, “The Preacher’s Wife,” during an afternoon of ice skating at Portland’s Deering Oaks Park Pond.
5) Enjoy a Valentine’s Day rendezvous with our Be My Valentine special. Turn your room into an enchanted cove filled with scattered rose petals, a bottle of champagne and homemade chocolate truffles. Enjoy a three-course gourmet breakfast accompanied by two Bellinis or Mimosas.
6) Have a divine dining experience for Valentine’s Day dinner at The White Barn Inn’s AAA Five Diamond restaurant located inside a rustic, renovated barn.
7) See and be seen at David’s KPT for a nice causal meal at the newest trendy waterfront social hub in Kennebunkport.
8) Enjoy an evening reception of cocktails and tasting plates and learn more about Kennebunkport’s history at the First Families Kennebunkport Museum for the “Love Stories Exhibition”.
9) Set the mood right with a burlesque show at Geno’s Rock Club in Portland.
10) Board a horse-drawn sleigh at Rockin’ Horse Stables for a cozy ride around Kennebunkport.
11) Walk off your Valentine’s dinner with a guided moonlit snowshoe walk on the Wells Reserve at Landholm in Wells.
12) Dance the night away at Kennebunk’s Family Valentine’s Day at the Town Hall auditorium.
13) Savor a beer and chocolate pairing at Portland’s Novares Res Bier Café.
14) Treat your sweetheart to in-room Rejuvenating Massages or a Lollia Luxury Bath Package in your room’s whirlpool.
Take advantage of all of the special events and attractions taking place in Kennebunkport and the surrounding areas this Valentine’s Day. With the help of Cupid’s arrow, you will fall in love all over again!