If you’ve stayed at the Inn at English Meadows, then may have tasted my Gluten-Free Fudgy Chocolate-Walnut Cookies. Bring the memories of your getaway from our inn to your kitchen by making these tasty treats:
Gluten-Free Fudgy Chocolate-Walnut Cookies
2 ¾ cups of walnut halves (9 ounces)
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
½ cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Position 2 racks in the upper and lower thirds of the over. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Spread the walnut halves on a large rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 9 minutes, until golden brown and fragrant. Cool slightly, then finely chop them.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the confectioners’ sugar with the cocoa powder and salt. Whisk in the chopped walnuts. Add the egg whites and vanilla extract and beat until the batter is moistened. (Do not over beat or it will stiffen). Spoon the batter onto the baking sheets in 12 evenly spaced mounds.
4. Bake the cookies for about 20 minutes, until the tops of the cookies are glossy and lightly cracked and feel firm to the touch.
5. Slide the parchment paper (with the cookies) onto 2 wire racks to cool completely before serving.
This recipe makes 12 cookies that will stay fresh for up to 3 days in air tight sealed container. For more information on this recipe check out Food & Wine magazine.